Temple Cloud 2nd XI (205-3) v Weston-Super-Mare 3rd XI (205-4)

Temple Cloud 2nd XI 2017

R Gale, I Appleyard, P Lester, D Raisebeck, C Wilton, R Appleyard.
A Comer, G Veater, M Veater (c), N Campbell, S White

Our final home game of the season was also Martin Veater’s last game as captain as he moves on to umpiring in the Somerset Cricket League.

The Temple XI nearly gave Martin the send off he deserved- but not quite. On a superb August Saturday, Temple won the toss and batted. The track was hardly used in last week’s abandoned
1st XI game, and looked like a decent surface on which to play.

White and Comer opened the innings for a Temple side which was nearing full strength. The return of Comer, Lester, Veater G, Appleyard R and I, bolstered the team following last week’s effort at East Huntspill.

A scratchy start for Temple meant that the home team were rather behind the rate in the first quarter of the innings. The ball swung and seamed initially and Weston’s opening bowler, Knight, was hard to get away.

Eventually, the scoring rate picked up and White and Comer advanced the score until drinks at 20 overs. The highlight of the opening partnership was an all run four – which, from this opening pair, is as rare as a classy gesture from Donald Trump. After drinks, Comer decided to bring his new £525 willow to the wicket. Its first shot in anger skied a wide ball upwards and Alex was caught at point for 39.

Veater joined White and the score continued to escalate. White had hit a number of 4s and 6s to take his score to 88 before succumbing to the spinner’s slower ball.

Veater ran himself out after choosing to run when he had hit the ball straight to the fielder. Wilton S and Appleyard R took the score to 205 which felt a little below par.

Weston batted steadily, never getting ahead of the rate, losing wickets fairly regularly. Rich Appleyard bowled his usual steady spell to kick the innings off.   In general, Temple bowled reasonably but too frequently gave away boundary balls to help Weston ease the scoreboard pressure. It was good to see Paul Lester back from injury. Paul bowled steadily and with some swing and accuracy. As usual, Raisebeck looked like he would take wickets – and he did so to help keep Temple in the hunt.

Going into the last 3 overs Temple probably looked to be slight favourites. However, a couple of loose balls and adventurous hitting from Holt saw Weston home in the last over.

Martin deservedly took the team off the field and a very pleasant evening was had by all in the Temple clubhouse. It was nice to see the touching moment where a family member greeted Martin in the bar “so – you’ve retired – collect your kit and get yourself home” … or words to that effect.

The 18 points picked up in this game may have been enough to see Temple safe … we will see as we go into the final weekend of the season.